Last week I promised to tell you more about Marrakech and here is a selection of the best places to visit in the most awesome Moroccan City that won me over with its 1000 years of history and a lot of good vibrations.
1) circulate through the Jamma El Fna Square. It is the center of Marrakech. This is where Moroccans and tourists join in a true movie scene for decades. Snake enthusiasts, money trainers, tents for every type of food, vendors, henna artists and more. Moreover, it has an explosion of scents and colors.
2) Lose yourself in the tangle of souqs. From the square, a real labyrinth of amazing markets that arose at the time when nomads and caravans of merchants met there. A feast for the eyes. It is the place where you will exercise all your bargaining power.
3) Listen to the call of the Koutoubia Mosque. Since the 12th century this mosque, that is located a few meters from the Jamma El Fna Square, calls the faithful to prayer five times a day. Its 70 meter tower is the “Eiffel Tower of Marrakech”, a landmark in the walled Medina (old town).
4) Become enchanted with the Jardin Majorelle. This exotic botanical garden was the home of French painter Jacques Majorelle and years later was purchased by Yves Saint Laurent and Pierre Bergé. You can imagine the mood of the place and its colors. This is the famous “Blue Majorelle”.
5) Visit the brand new Yves Saint Laurent Museum. It has just opened the doors in the city, this fantastic museum that portrays the strong bond of the designer with Morocco. The museum besides being beautiful on the outside, it has an incredible collection with pieces of haute couture, sketches, photos and accessories. Unmissable.
6) Visit the Madrasa Ben Youssef. Old school of Islam that impresses with the details of architecture. It was built in the 14th century and continued running until 1962. Its mosaics and carved cedar panels are spectacular.
7) Visit the Bahia Palace. Its name means “Beautiful” and beauty does not lack the palace built by Sultan Mohammed Ben Musa who lived there with his 4 wives and 24 concubines. The harem is one of the highlights.
8) Walk through the ruins of Badii palace. This is another palace worth a visit. It was considered one of the most beautiful palaces in the world. It is a shame that it is in ruins, nevertheless it is possible to perceive its sumptuousness.
9) Doing some shopping is inevitable in the marvelous Marrakech. There is no way not to pass through shops full of kaftans, ceramics, babouches, berber jewels, bags, carpets…. its crazy!
10) You will feel like a princess if you stay in an Oasis hotel. The hotels are AMAZING in the city. For you to find peace and quiet after a long drive through the lively Marrakesh, I recommend you stay in the marvelous hotel like Amanjena, Royal Mansour, La Mamounia, Mandarin Oriental, The Pearl …
Did you like the tips? Marrakech is awesome. Go without fear. A flight of an hour from Lisbon and you arrive. It is worth the trip!