Colombia won me over!!! Last week I did a trip to Cartagena with my sister, Jo, and my sister-in-law, Di (who is practically a sister to me): so summing it up, it was a SISTERS Trip. Haha!
Me enamoré! (I fell in love). This charming city on the Caribbean Coast was a perfect destination for us – I loved the food, the people (warm and fun), the culture, the romantic vibe of the city and the paradisiac islands. COLORS, COLORS + COLORS, the “old city” is a charm, joyful and super photogenic.
Here are some tips for those who are interested in visiting this enchanting city:
Where to stay:
No doubt try to stay in Old Town – where everything happens and it’s the most charming place! We stayed in Mansion Tcherassi, a Boutique Hotel, which has only 7 rooms and a more luxurious vibe (super private – it felt like we were in a house). The service is impeccable and the food is delicious! The last night we stayed at the Tcherassi Hotel, which is in the same group, yet larger and with a more relaxed vibe. I would say that for a trip with girlfriends the Tcherassi Hotel is perfect and for a couples trip, I would recommend the Mansion Tcherassi.
Where to eat:
– Juan Del Mar: Delicious food (seafood, pizza, etc) and a lively and trendy atmosphere with live music and the most charming host in town – JUAN! A great place to start the night off.
– Maria: A more sophisticated place! WOW Food!!! Chef Alejandro is known as one of the best in the Country. We really had an amazing dining experience! Lots of seafood (all the dishes served in the restaurant are using local produce). I loved it! Make reservation beforehand because it is always packed.
– Vera: Great for lunch or dinner! The place has a more sophisticated vibe and is located in the Mansion Tcherassi.
– Taqueria Municipal: The best TACOS! Relaxing and charming atmosphere. It’s definitely worth a visit!
Club a night: – Café Havana: The right place to enjoy an incredible salsa night! I love these more traditional experiences.
Walk around Old Town, you’ll find many charming little shops with handmade purses and accessories. Always haggle – it’s part of the game! Haha. Do not forget to try the delicious fruits of Palenqueras (MANGOSSS) and rent bicycles to ride around and get to know the whole region!
– I REALLY recommend renting a boat for 1 or 2 days (or even 3 haha) and have an experience in the paradisiacal islands of Cartagena! For some islands, the boat is already included, like Matamba Island we went for a few days! Well worth a visit to the Blue Apple Beach Club, a perfect place to have lunch and watch the sunset!
– Visit the Silvia Tcherassi store, a designer that I love (most of the looks I wore there were hers) and outside of Colombia they only have a store in Miami! Take advantage of it!
Ahhhh I miss this trip so much, I already cannot wait to go back!