Health and wellness are top of mind for everyone right now, with people paying especially close attention to boosting their immune system. While there’s currently no treatment for COVID-19, a strong immune system is something we can all strive for to try to protect ourselves from the virus (plus any other cold or flu-like ailments). Of course our health should always be a priority, but right now most of us are looking for even more ways we can put our health and immune systems first. Luckily there are a few easy ways we can boost our immuninty by adding a few activities and foods to our daily routines—from eating citrus fruits to exercising to drinking enough water. Below are 7 effective (and cost-efficient) ways to boost immunity that we can implement into our daily lives.
- Get enough sleep: This one sounds obvious, but sleep is the time when your body rests and rebuilds. Eight hours is the most commonly recommended amount, but everyone is different so always listen to your body and do what feels best for you.
- Get your vitamins and minerals through whole plant foods: Whole plant foods like fruits, vegetables, nuts, and legumes are full of the vitamins and antioxidants your body needs to help fight off illness. Plus they contain the fiber your body needs to keep things moving along and prevent the buildup of toxins. Citrus fruits like oranges and grapefruits, cantaloupe, mango, and other fruits are high in vitamin C and fiber, so those are a great addition to your diet.
- Take a vitamin D supplement: Most people are vitamin D deficient, and especially right now when we’re spending more time indoors. Vitamin D helps your body maintain a healthy immune system, fight off infections, and regulate your mood, so making sure you’re getting enough is extremely important.
- Exercise regularly: Moving your body is not only good for your mood (hello, endorphin rush!) but it has anti-inflammatory benefits that boost your immune system. 30 minutes of exercise five days a week is recommended, so go for a walk or run around your neighborhood if you’re able or tune into some of the many IG live workouts brands and trainers are doing right now (check out @revolve or @trainwithdanny‘s live workouts for an amazing sweat session).
- Eat fermented foods or take a probiotic: Good gut bacteria helps your body to flush out invader organisms, so eating foods rich in probiotics or taking a supplement is key. Fermented foods like yogurt, kimchi, sauerkraut, and kefir are full of good probiotics for a healthy gut microbiome.
- Stay hydrated: Another one that may sound obvious, but making sure you’re drinking enough water is key for regulating your body temperature and flushing toxins. Water doesn’t help fight off germs, but dehydration can make you more susceptible to illness. It’s recommended that you drink 8 eight-ounce glasses of water daily, and if you have trouble keeping track try using a water bottle with a water tracker to keep you accountable.
- Manage your stress levels: Long-term stress promotes inflammation (which weakens your immune system and has been linked to chronic diseases like Alzheimer’s), so managing it through activities like exercise, meditation, journaling, and yoga is important for overall health.
Photo: Lucy Williams
What’s your favorite way to boost immunity? Let us know in the comments below!