Venice is one of those cities you want to go back a thousand times, isn’t it? Those beautiful canals filled with gondolas, the buildings overlooking the water and the many bridges make the city enthralling. September is one of the best times to wander the streets of Venice, as the European holidays are over and everything is quieter. So let’s go to what you can not miss in the city:
1) Start at Piazza San Marco, one of the most beautiful in the world. It is there that the famous Basilica of San Marco is located, go in and check it out. To have a beautiful view of the square, go up in the steeple tower. When you get off, have a coffee at the classic Florian Café.
2) Take a gondola ride through the canals. Yes, they are touristy and expensive. However, the view is beautiful and lets agree that it is super romantic.
3) Visit the Scuola Grande di San Rocco to see the frescoes of the Renaissance painter Tintoretto and Scarpagnino. A real museum, unmissable!!! Next to it is the Church of San Rocco, also with works by Tintoretto.
4) Cross the Grand Canal via the classic Rialto Bridge, one of Venice’s main postcards. Take the opportunity to circulate through the markets and shops of the neighborhood called San Polo and it was once one of the most important shopping areas of the Mediterranean.
5) Have a Bellini (classic Venice drink made with prosecco and peach juice) at Harry’s Bar, which was frequented by Hemingway.
6) Reserve a table at Trattoria alla Rivetta, a simple but spectacular restaurant on Ponte 5. Other good restaurants are: Trattoria da Fiore, Il Paradiso Perduto, Osteria L’Orto dei Moro, Al Covo.
7) Go by vaporetto to the islets of Murano, Burano and Torcello. Each one is full of great surprises.
8) Stay very well hosted and well located in the Aman Venice hotel on the Grand Canal, and if you prefer to stay in a quieter place, opt for the Belmont Hotel Cipriani on the island of Giudecca, five minutes by boat from Piazza San Marco. Two spectacular hotels.
Venice is always a good idea, isn’t it? So jot down these tips with love and happy travels!
See you all next Tuesday.